FCW Society

"FCW Society is dedicated to promoting and exploring feminist issues and interests while spreading the word and celebrating the fact that women are so fucking cool!" "Respect. Empower. Celebrate."

Name:
Location: Everywhere, Earth

Monday, September 26, 2005

FEM APPEAL

I borrowed "Life's a journey, not a destination.." (it appears at the bottom of my email signature) from an Aerosmith song, but it is so apropos.

In the last five months I've done a whole lot more living and much less settling/accepting/complying as I make my way through this world and I feel FUCKING FANTASTIC.

The FCW Society was definitely a catalyst and I thank each and every one of you for your energy, creativity and positivity,
but I must also give a SPECIAL thanks to Joanne, Beth and Rachel -- my partners in burlesque.

I had my first run-in with burlesque in 2003 at Pyramid. My friends and I were all set for some 80s dancing on the cheap, but fate had other plans. We were treated instead to an hour of brains, beauty, grace and art hosted by the hardest working man in showbiz -- none other than Mr. Murray Hill. It was an incredible experience and I have the Polaroid to prove it.

Five months ago a singer/songwriter and good friend performed at Freddy's Back Room in Brooklyn and the act that followed stirred my creative juices. The Bitter Poet was really good and quite entertaining, but his partner, Howlin' Vic, stole the show. In between his songs/rantings/musings, Howlin' Vic would do a little burlesque number. One in particular, blew me away. She began her routine wearing only a bra, panties and a mustache and got fully dressed (three-piece suit complete with tie and suspenders) to the tune of "Just a Gigolo". She was BRILLIANT.

While on vacation in the Bahamas this summer, I came across a documentary on burlesque and knew I wanted to try it.

FCW Joanne, Beth, Rachel and myself enlisted the help of Jo "Boobs" Weldon and took a few classes in burlesque dancing and after a workshop on burlesque, I found myself signed up to compete in the Miss Galapagozonga Amateur Burlesque Competition at Galapagos Art Space in Williamsburg.

On Monday, September 5, performing under the stage name Fem Appeal, yours truly dared and did it.

It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. I can't really provide many details, because so much of it was truly out-of-body, but talk about being ALIVE.

I'm no expert on burlesque, but what makes it so intriguing to me is that it embodies female empowerment.
It combines elements of dance, theatre and comedy and it's all inclusive. Women of all ages, ethnicities, body types and backgrounds are represented and they're SEXY, because women really are, so fucking cool.

Lovin' my journey
- Taryn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home